British Bears on the Net
Welcome to BBN. Please log now.

Debra Bear...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Debra Bear...

Post by ThomasAdam on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Hey all,

Finally got around to readng here as opposed to just sitting on the mailing list. Over Christmas, my mother gave me a teddy bear she had made for me. Here's a photo of her:



She's called Debra, after my mother. It's her first ever attempt at making a teddy bear. Must have taken her ages, she did everything from scratch too -- I really like her, the only thing is, the way she's jointed makes her limbs and head a little wobbly -- not sure if there's a way to fix that?

Just wanted to get some feedback from some of you here since I know you all make teddy bears. Smile A feat I would struggle with for sure.

-- Thomas Adam
avatar
ThomasAdam

Male
Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Teddy bears
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Debra Bear...

Post by Paula on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:56 am

What a lovely gift from your Mum! Thanks for sharing her here. I think first bears often have a little wobblyness about them - it's part of their charm To be honest, without completely disassembling her, there's not really anything you can do to tighten up the joints, so if she was mine, I'd let her alone to sit comfortably ... I think a slightly slouchy bear is very charming and lovely to hold.

For future reference, if your Mum decides to have another go at bear making and would like to make a bear with tighter joints, I would suggest trying a nut 'n bolt/hardboard joint. This way the nut can be tightened before the final seams are closed. My other tip would be to always use the largest joint disc that will fit the space.

I posted this tutorial about how to make a crown joint on my blog a while ago ... you and your mum might find this helpful if using cotterpin joints:

http://allbear.blogspot.com/2007/03/head-first.html
avatar
Paula
Forum Host
Forum Host

Female
Number of posts : 751
Job/hobbies : Creator of teddy bears/Forum Host/Administrator/coffee & tea maker
Humor : Decidedly slapstick!
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Debra Bear...

Post by ThomasAdam on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:09 pm

Paula wrote:What a lovely gift from your Mum! Thanks for sharing her here. I think first bears often have a little wobblyness about them - it's part of their charm To be honest, without completely disassembling her, there's not really anything you can do to tighten up the joints, so if she was mine, I'd let her alone to sit comfortably ... I think a slightly slouchy bear is very charming and lovely to hold.

Hehe, I do like her. I am not sure what fabric she's made from, but it's not mohair. I think my mother wasn't prepared for its price or its limited availability for purchase. Smile Needless to say she's a very soft bear and she makes a nice addition to my hug.

Paula wrote:
For future reference, if your Mum decides to have another go at bear making and would like to make a bear with tighter joints, I would suggest trying a nut 'n bolt/hardboard joint. This way the nut can be tightened before the final seams are closed. My other tip would be to always use the largest joint disc that will fit the space.

Oh that's really useful, thanks! As with our previous attempt (Stitchy) I think Debra is also using quite cheap plastic joints which offer no tightening at all -- and I suspect you're absolutely spot on there - the discs are likely just that bit too small. But it doesn't matter really. Smile Adds to her character.

Paula wrote:
I posted this tutorial about how to make a crown joint on my blog a while ago ... you and your mum might find this helpful if using cotterpin joints:

http://allbear.blogspot.com/2007/03/head-first.html

Oh, that's great, thanks. I will send it on to her and read it myself at lunch. Smile

Thanks!

-- Thomas Adam
avatar
ThomasAdam

Male
Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Teddy bears
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Debra Bear...

Post by FenBeary Folk on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Hi Thomas, I have to agree whole heartedly with Paula, a lovely floppy bear is a joy to cuddle. It's funny I have spent the best part of 2 years trying to make my joints as tight as can be, only to try making them loose again for a series of old looking bears.

I love the fabric your mum has used and for a first bear your mum should be proud of herself cheers
avatar
FenBeary Folk
Bear Business Buddy
Bear Business Buddy

Female
Number of posts : 300
Job/hobbies : Assistant Accountant
Humor : Lost it somewhere....
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Debra Bear...

Post by Andrea on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 pm

You're Mum has made a lovely first bear there and she really is something to treasure isn't she? You can see that a lot of love and time has gone into her details from the choice of fur to the little motif on her foot. Wish my Mum would make me teddies! As for her slightly floppy feel, all the better where I'm concerned I love floppy bears that snuggle into a hug, bet you're loving cuddling her too.
avatar
Andrea

Female
Number of posts : 74
Job/hobbies : Bear making, reading, creative writing, minerals, floristry (trainee florist)
Humor : Plain Wierd
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Debra Bear...

Post by ThomasAdam on Fri May 01, 2009 12:21 am

Andrea wrote:You're Mum has made a lovely first bear there and she really is something to treasure isn't she? You can see that a lot of love and time has gone into her details from the choice of fur to the little motif on her foot. Wish my Mum would make me teddies! As for her slightly floppy feel, all the better where I'm concerned I love floppy bears that snuggle into a hug, bet you're loving cuddling her too.

Aww, thanks. Mother actually made several of these bears -- from the same design pattern. One was a present to my step-father, one was a present to her parents (my grandparents) and the other to her sister (my aunt). Although they all look similar, they all have their unique and individual charm about them. Smile They'll be looked after and loved for sure.

I do enjoy cuddling her, yes. Smile Actually, I do that with all my teddies when I get home from work, hehe, my excuse is it helps de-dust them (I do that regularly too, but... Razz)

-- Thomas Adam
avatar
ThomasAdam

Male
Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Teddy bears
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Debra Bear...

Post by Andrea on Sun May 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Glad to hear that you are packing the cuddles in, there is nothing better is there than five minutes to unwind with a gaggle of bears upon your knee. Makers know a bear is a success when they hear that one of their cubs is being cuddled senseless (or dustless...of couse, I'm going to borrow that excuse next time I'm caught having a crafty cuddle ) Very Happy
avatar
Andrea

Female
Number of posts : 74
Job/hobbies : Bear making, reading, creative writing, minerals, floristry (trainee florist)
Humor : Plain Wierd
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Debra Bear...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum